Years 2-9: So much more than just another phonics programme. Our decoding module, for primaries and secondaries, develops deep independence in learners, empowers them and consistently improves reading ages by over 9 months in just 20 hours.
Decoding is a powerful literacy intervention module.
- It starts by assessing a learner’s reading age, then creating a carefully structured, personalised learning journey.
- Learners work through blends, progress through common endings, words and sentences using a variety of innovative approaches to unlock reading.
- Decoding starts with letter sound recognition and progresses through every four-syllable word in the first 3 Harry Potters.
Delivery: 20-25 minute sessions 3-5 times a week. Supervised by 1 trained TA working with 10 learners.
Year 5 - 9: ReadingWise Comprehension is a powerful, engaging and fun literacy intervention module to develop the quest for meaning behind a narrative. It’s content, structure and design deliver age appropriate sessions for Primary and Secondary schools.
ReadingWise Comprehension empowers learners through key strategies.
- Strategies include questioning, summarising and thinking ahead to transform reluctant readers into enthusiastic, book-hungry participants.
- Work through structured sessions, with supporting lesson plans, developing 4 ‘Mega Skills’ – the core strategies for improving understanding and building a reader’s self-esteem.
Delivery: 10 week programme, 45 minute sessions run twice a week in groups of 10, with one trained member of staff.
Learn more >
We have developed a bright and engaging classroom poster to reinforce key comprehension strategies.
Grab your free comprehension skills poster
Reception and Y1: Zip’s objective is to close the gap between reading age and chronological age in KS1. It can be used as a whole class activity or a group activity for those who struggled to pass the phonics check.
- It uses adaptive learning via algorithms to understand how secure a pupil is in relation to a letter/ word-sound correspondence.
- Zip has proven to be particularly beneficial in schools with EAL pupil’s where it can also be used to support the school’s home engagement strategy.
The Learner's Library is a fun and engaging way for learners to hone their comprehension skills using learning resources in the form of extracts from children’s timeless classics, from Alice in Wonderland to Roald Dahl’s Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and The BFG.
The books have been chosen for their power to appeal to young readers wild imaginations and build their desire and confidence to progress on their own reading journey.
- The Classics collection
- Roald Dahl collection
- Levelled texts
Use as a whole class activity to power-up comprehension skills in preparation for the reading SATs. Identify where Decoding and Comprehension intervention is required.Secondary schools – literacy intervention
Use the library as an extension to Comprehension to encourage further practice of reading skills.
Learn more >