The Phonics Screening Check for Year 2, Autumn 2020
UPDATED 8th SEPTEMBER 2020 and October 5th 2020 (scroll down for resource details)
As detailed in this article dated 7th September, the government has confirmed further details regarding the obligation for English schools to conduct the phonics screening check in the autumn term 2020 for year 2 pupils.
What You Need to Know
- Results must be submitted by the end of term;
- Absent pupils will take the check in June;
- As detailed and linked below, schools can choose one of the previous screening checks (either 2017, 2018 or 2019);
- Heads decide which pupils will not sit the check;
- No separate declaration form will be needed;
- Data will not feature in national statistics;
- If you need braille versions, these must be ordered by the 23rd October.
Links to the Government Materials You Will Use
ReadingWise has a unique programme to target either the 2017, 2018 or 2019 content quickly and easily. As an online programme, it is 'lockdown proof' and friendly for families who have to use smartphones rather than computers or tablets. Before we detail what we can offer you, here are the links to the government resources - these are the screening checks you will need to choose from and their associated materials.
- 2019 Phonics Screening Check Materials (links to government website)
- 2018 Phonics Screening Check Materials (links to government website)
- 2017 Phonics Screening Check Materials (links to government website)
The Content of Each Year
Here is the content of each year's screening check to help you choose:
Zip makes practising these words a cinch and supports your remote learning strategy
ReadingWise Zip is an online programme that has been trialed as part of a DfE study and is widely used in English schools. The core programme includes the letters and sounds phases and sets, but we have adapted it to support the autumn 2020 phonics screening test for year 2.
Zip offers you a robust, simple and effective way to expose your pupils to the exact content that you have chosen for the screening check.
"ReadingWise Zip is a godsend for our reception learners"
Suzanne Sterling, Claytons Primary School, Buckinghamshire, UK
How it works
- You set up your pupils with their logins;
- They access the selected programme (either 2017, 2018 or 2019 content) regularly (a few times per week for around 10 minutes);
- The programme presents them the target content; it knows when they have mastered it;
- You can view progress (when words are mastered; time spent on the programme).
You would also have access to the core Zip programme (letters and sounds phases and sets), so if you wished you could spend the first half-term focusing on the phases and then move your pupils on to the specific phonics screening check content!
There are 2 activities that pupils practice; Sound to Word and Word to Sound. They are pictured below. In Sound to Word, they hear a single word and then select from two written options. In Word to Sound, pupils read one word, and then select from two sound options. Simple!
|Sound to Word||Word to Sound|
£395 + VAT for a site licence for 1 year.
£195 + VAT for a site licence for the term ending 31st December 2020.
The above prices include:
- ReadingWise Zip including phonics check 2020 online resources;
- Dashboard (to track progress etc.);
- Staff training (delivered online, as many staff as you need);
- Unlimited pupils (suitable for years reception through to year 2);
- Exceptional support throughout the year.
Please email us with your school details to request an invoice. We can set you up immediately.
Alternatively, you can register for a 2-week trial through this form
Thanks for visiting and we look forward to any questions you may have.
This blog contains material developed by the Standards and Testing Agency for 2017, 2018 or 2019 national curriculum assessments and licensed under Open Government Licence v3.0.