The Phonics Screening Check for Year 2, Autumn 2020
As discussed in this TES article yesterday, the government is asking all schools in England with year 2 pupils to conduct the phonics screening check in the autumn term 2020 (for all pupils who missed it in year 1).
What You Need to Know
- Schools can choose the date (during the autumn term);
- Schools can choose one of the previous screening checks (either 2017, 2018 or 2019);
- All pupils who did not sit the screening check in year 1 due to school closures must sit it.
Links to the Government Materials You Will Use
ReadingWise has a unique programme to target either the 2017, 2018 or 2019 content quickly and easily. As an online programme, it is 'lockdown proof' and friendly for families who have to use smartphones rather than computers or tablets. Before we detail what we can offer you, here are the links to the government resources - these are the screening checks you will need to choose from and their associated materials.
- 2019 Phonics Screening Check Materials (links to government website)
- 2018 Phonics Screening Check Materials (links to government website)
- 2017 Phonics Screening Check Materials (links to government website)
The Content of Each Year
Here is the content of each year's screening check to help you choose:
ReadingWise Zip makes practising these words a cinch.
ReadingWise Zip is an online programme that has been trialed as part of a DfE study and is widely used in English schools. The core programme includes the letters and sounds phases and sets, but we have adapted it to support the autumn 2020 phonics screening test for year 2.
Zip offers you a robust, simple and effective way to expose your pupils to the exact content that you have chosen for the screening check.
How it works
- You set up your pupils with their logins;
- They access the selected programme (either 2017, 2018 or 2019 content) regularly (a few times per week for around 10 minutes);
- The programme presents them the target content; it knows when they have mastered it;
- You can view progress (when words are mastered; time spent on the programme).
You would also have access to the core Zip programme (letters and sounds phases and sets), so if you wished you could spend the first half-term focusing on the phases and then move your pupils on to the specific phonics screening check content!
There are 2 activities that pupils practice; Sound to Word and Word to Sound. They are pictured below. In Sound to Word, they hear a single word and then select from two written options. In Word to Sound, pupils read one word, and then select from two sound options. Simple!
|Sound to Word||Word to Sound|
£395 + VAT for a site licence for 1 year.
The above price includes:
- ReadingWise Zip;
- Dashboard (to track progress etc.);
- Staff training (delivered online, as many staff as you need);
- Unlimited pupils (suitable for years reception through to year 2);
- Exceptional support throughout the year.
Please register for a 2-week trial through this form and we'll be in touch from there.
Thanks for visiting and we look forward to any questions you may have.
This blog contains material developed by the Standards and Testing Agency for 2017, 2018 or 2019 national curriculum assessments and licensed under Open Government Licence v3.0.